The East Window
Our Lord is shown in the centre light as the living Christ upon the cross, triumphant with the kingly crown above the crown of thorns upon His Head and rays of glory around Him, adored by Angels. Click the image on the right to see a larger version.
On either side are the figures of –
St. George – the patron Saint of England with
St.Chad – the Patron Saint of the Diocese of Lichfield
St. Oswald – the Soldier King & Martyr of Northumbria
St. Nicholas – the Patron Saint of Sailors.
In the large circular panel at the head of the window there is a crowned shield bearing the letters IHS (the contracted form of the Greek spelling IHESUS). Either side of the shield is a scroll with the inscription “Nomen super omne nomen” (Name above every name). The central panel is encircled by five smaller panels depicting six-winged seraphim. In the two outer tracery panels are shown instruments of the Passion, the Crown of Thorns and the Nails.
The Angels in the upper portions of the side lights
are carrying scrolls with the words
“By Thy Holy Cross Thou hast redeemed the world”
The central inscription reads
“Remember ye with thanksgiving and with honour before men those from this Parish who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War“. A brass plate below the window reads: “In honour of the most glorious Passion of the Lord Jesus Christ and in memory of those men of Yockleton who fell in the Great War 1914-1918 this window is dedicated”.
This window was commissioned from C E Kempe & Co Ltd in 1918 and dedicated in December 1919. The artist and chief designer was John William Lisle. All except one of the cartoons for the figures were newly drawn for this commission, only the Crucifixion is a adaptation from a previous 1913 cartoon for the east window in St Margaret’s Church, Bethersden, Kent.
The logo or trademark of C E Kempe & Co Ltd is in the bottom left hand corner – a wheatsheaf taken from the Kempe coat of arms, and a black tower punning on the name of Walter Towers. He was a young cousin of Charles Eamer Kempe, and became Chairman of the firm of C E Kempe and Co., established after Kempe’s death in 1907.