The History of the Church
Yockleton became a parish in it’s own right in the 19 th century, and comprises Stretton Heath, Stoney Stretton, Yockleton Village , Ford Heath and part of Nox. That there were early chapels in Yockleton is shown by the field names on early maps and by the cartulary of the Abbey of St Peter and St Paul which records that a monk served the chapel at Yockleton. As part of the extended parish of Westbury, Yockleton was served by the Rector of the 2 nd Portion. All weddings, baptisms and funerals were held and recorded at Westbury. One Churchwarden was elected from Yockleton Parish and two members of the parish sat on the board of governors of the school and workhouse, both at Westbury.
During the middle of the 1900 th century, those who lived in Yockleton and the surrounding areas decided to build their own Church, and in 1861 Holy Trinity Church was completed and consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Hereford . Funds to build the Church were raised by public subscription and the total cost was £ 1,713; compare this with today’s estimate of £ 2.5 million. It is built of local stone from Alberbury, Cardeston and Grinshill and was designed by Mr Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury .
The land on which the Church stands was donated by Col. Wingfield of Onslow, a local landowner, and who, three years later also set aside land for the school and school house which adjoin the churchyard. Since the closure of the school, it has been converted to a private house. Land was also donated for the adjoining rectory to be built, this house is now Yockleton Grange Private Home.
The first Rector was Revd J Baldwyn Pugh and he and his successors are listed on a brass plaque on the west wall.